Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Back from Colorado

Hello Everyone! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. I've been vacationing in the wilds of Colorado. (Okay - Snowmass, but still -- there was nature!) I forgot how much I love Colorado. There were a few days that I sat out on one of the balcony's of the condo we were in, drank my morning coffee, and had my QT. It was so peaceful and beautiful. God has done some amazing work. BTW - Aspen? What's up with that? There's a culture of money there that I will never understand. It's like going to the zoo and watching all the animals. Fun, but weird.

I don't have much to comment on media-wise as I haven't been watching anything new lately. Although I did catch the newest Stargate SG-1 last night. I am enjoying Claudia Black's performance, but I am wondering where Amanda Tapping is. Is she coming back? Her name is one the credits, but she is nowhere to be seen. Perhaps she's working on another project? I wish Claudia could stay on as a regular. She is fun! I am getting a little bored with the Jaffa stuff. All the political stuff is not so interesting to me. Stargate should be crazy aliens, big explosions, really snarky comments and Daniel Jackson! :-) BTW - I think that Ben Browder is fitting in nicely. He can't really fill Richard Dean Anderson's shoes, but he's doing a fine job of fitting into the dynamic. (Of course, it could be that I just like Ben Browder.) :-) Also - did anyone else notice the CGI during Daniel and Jack's conversation? It was glaringly obvious that they filmed the different sides of that conversation at different times. I'm guessing that Anderson didn't even go to Vancouver for the scene. Weird.

Now for something a little different... Here are the TV questions for today. Remember - these are from TV Tuesday. I don't want anyone to think I'm stealing someone else's idea.

1. What shows would make up a perfect night of TV viewing for you?
Wow. Tough question. Since it's my perfect night, I'm going to bring in cancelled shows.
7:00 - The West Wing (written by Aaron Sorkin, directed by Thomas Schlamme.)
8:00 - Beauty and the Beast (with Linda Hamilton still on the show)
9:00 - a Star Trek series where the characters actually changed over time (a la Babylon 5)
10:00 - Firefly (and it was never cancelled)

2. What show(s) would you cancel without a moment's hesitation?
Almost any reality show and most sitcoms. Yuck.

3. Is there a show (previously cancelled or just no longer airing) that you'd bring back, original cast and all?
Um...yeah....FIREFLY!!!!

~Bonus~ You get to create one show to put on the schedule, with any stars you choose. Who and what would it be?
Wow. I can't even begin to say....okay, I can begin. First of all, it would be written by Joss Whedon. That's a must. It would star...hmmm... Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk, Ron Perlman, Natalie Portman, Gary Sinese ('cause he's wasted on CSI:NY), and Allison Mack.
Okay - that was really fast. I keep getting new ideas and can't include them. I don't like this question. :-)

Oh - I almost forgot to mention... I've been listening to The Flaming Lips recently. Fun! I think Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots is my favorite.

3 Comments:

At August 02, 2005 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! OK, according to a source of mine (Toby) Amanda Tapping was pregnant near the end of last season and they hid it as they filmed. Evidently, she had taken some leave to take care of her baby when the fliming of the current season started. She sould be back by episode 5 or 6.

Claudi Black's character is soooooooo much more interesting than her Farscape one (biased) and yes, Ben Browder is fitting in nicely - and that is from someone who wasn't really impressed with Farscape. :)

 
At August 02, 2005 10:49 PM, Blogger Chris said...

welcome back

 
At August 18, 2005 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A perfect night of tv viewing for me is borrowing a tv series from a friend and watching several episodes in a row. Other wise it would be "Clean Sweep", "What not to Wear" and, much to your dismay or maybe even horror, I enjoy sitcoms. I like to do things while I watch tv (like crafts, laundry, reading). I can't do that and watch West Wing (which I love). I like the shows that make me laugh outloud. There aren't many of them left these days.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home