Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Thursday, January 11, 2007

John Barrowman - Maria (West Side Story)

So I stayed home sick from work today. Nothing too serious, I'm just worn out and catching something. (Not a "friend" from India, though!) :-)

Anyway - I've spent way too much time on YouTube today. Boy, that's addictive! I went in search of some clips of John Barrowman. I've been enjoying his role as Captain Jack Harkness on Doctor Who and Torchwood and just wanted to check to see if there were a few interviews with him. Well. Little did I know. The man is an amazing singer. Apparently he's had the lead in 16 West End musicals in London. (That's the UK's version of Broadway, for those of you unfamiliar with the West End.) I have fallen in love with this man's voice. Wow.

Here's a clip of him talking about and then singing "Maria" from West Side Story.

5 Comments:

At January 12, 2007 5:24 PM, Blogger Blythe Lane said...

Wow. That brought tears to my eyes. I think that is hands down one of the best versions of "Maria" I've heard. It's probably no surprise to you that I don't watch Doctor Who :-), but you totally have me intrigued by this John Barrowman.

I'm thinking a London trip to see him in the West End needs to be on our trip itinerary...

 
At January 12, 2007 9:21 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Oh, that sounds amazing! Let's go! (I feel a little like when I was nine and had a massive crush on Luke Duke.) :-) Oh yes, gotta love the long distance celebrity crush. :-) Absolutely no chance of rejection. :-)

 
At January 18, 2007 3:14 PM, Blogger Mom25 said...

You also had a crush on Errol Flynn and Slim Whitman!!! hahahaha tell-off time!!!!! Love you! Your auntie.

 
At January 18, 2007 4:26 PM, Blogger Jill Pole said...

Okay, I'll admit to Errol Flynn - I mean...hello! Robin Hood anyone? He was dreamy. But Slim??? I absolutely deny it. Absolutely. (Besides, I was like three years old and Grandpa had the 8-track...)

 
At January 19, 2007 11:17 AM, Blogger Mom25 said...

Oh no missy!!! Slim WAS definitely a crush. So handsome with that stringy little mustache and that crooning voice. I might still be able to find the 8-track if you want it!!! hahahahahahaha OTFL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home