Shadow of the Real World

A few musings from Kansas by a high school literature teacher. Over the past few months, this blog has turned a commentary on media. I will probably continue to focus on film and television, but books and music might sneak in... By the way - If you would like me to post on a regular basis - please comment, even if it's just to say, "Hi." If my audience disappears, I lose the motivation to write! Thanks!

Monday, November 12, 2007

More on the Writers Strike

One of the best arguments I've seen for the writers. Interestingly, it uses the words of the studio heads!



As you can see from this video, the primary issue for the writers is not DVD revenue as I reported before. In fact, the night before the strike, the WGA took their DVD demands off the table in hopes that the studios would compromise on Internet revenue (of which writers receive NOTHING.) The studios refused to meet them part way on the Internet revenue issue, insisting that downloading and streaming video are purely for promotional purposes. (My question is this - if it's promotional...why do I have to watch the commercial before my show or clip???)

1 Comments:

At November 12, 2007 9:36 PM, Blogger Ren said...

I have basically no details, but many of the streaming shows I've watched have a very minimal amount of commercials included. In fact, often none at all. It would not surprise me if any ad revenue that is received is insufficient to even cover the bandwidth cost.

That being said, the writers are welcome to negotiate for more money -- they simply accept the risk that they will be usurped by other sources.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home